Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Gift of Trust in Troubled Times


Earlier this month I had been struggling with some pretty major decisions that would ultimately affect not only me, but my husband and kids as well. In fact, these were decisions that could affect my relationships with extended family and friends, too.

I began to worry about the future. I began to worry about how we would afford certain things, and how we would do the things that were being asked of us. Life was completely “up in the air” for us, and we weren’t sure of much at all, to be honest.

To top things off, some of my dearest friends had been struggling with various afflictions or predicaments, and were calling on me for wisdom, advice, or just for an attentive and compassionate ear. I am not the type of person to turn away from friends, no matter what my life situation is. I truly believe that we were put here, in our own unique places, to serve one another. God’s greatest gift that we can give to each other is LOVE.

Well, the day came when I finally stopped worrying about how, why, where, when, etc., etc., and I prayed. (You would think I would have started there, right? Let’s face it: many of us, no matter where you are in your walk with God, fall into worry. It’s living proof that God’s not finished with us yet.)

The next thing that happened was nothing short of miraculous. I jumped to attention, and got busy making phone calls – the kind no one wants to make – the kind that could bring devastation or despair. I couldn’t have been more relieved and grateful after a few of these calls were finished. In a way that I think most of us rarely experience, I saw first-hand how God had actually made my path straight and provided not just “a” way, but “THE” way for us. He had already taken care of each situation before I started anything!

I must say that no matter what we choose in life, when we rely on God and His ultimate plan, protection, and provision, we see beauty, care, and love in a way that is more than enough, more than what we could have “wished” for, and certainly much more than anything this world could try to offer but never delivers.

Throughout my struggles, God also provided wisdom that I was able to share with my friends in the midst of their own life situations.

God has chosen us to be His children, and has chosen a purpose for us in this life. What’s more, He has provided His guidance throughout each and every “thing” we encounter. And the most amazing part of it all: He provides things for His children that no one could ever imagine.

The most important provision, of course, was offering His Son as the way to cancel our debt of sin so that we could experience His love and intimacy. There will never be anything more wonderful and loving than what Jesus did for us at the cross.

But I want to express how much God loves us – from the mundane, everyday tasks to the biggest decisions you’ll ever have to make. Simply walking daily with Him as our Lord and Savior is a miracle, but to talk with Him and see guidance and provision is nothing short of the greatest daily experience I could ask for.

Recently, God has shown me clear, direct answers to many issues, simply from my open and honest prayer. This rarely happens how we expect; sometimes we don’t hear answers for a longer time than we had hoped. When God doesn’t answer right away, it is always for the best.

I have a mind that likes to be in control – always. I am still learning to give this over to God daily. But through His gentle leading and merciful patience, I am learning this lesson. Allowing God to decide not only what I should do, but also when I should do it is a lesson that we all struggle with.

I am here to encourage you today, that no matter what it is you are struggling with, pray. (If you’ve read my last two entries, you will remember how prayer is simply talking to God and then allowing Him to speak to you.) Ask God for His path to be made clear to you. Ask Him also for the patience to wait if that is what He has planned for you in this situation.

Don’t take your worries back; let Him carry your burdens. Once you have given your struggles over to Him, open your newly-emptied hands to receive His blessing and provision. He will never leave us nor forsake us. That is His promise.

Peace, love, and cider mugs...

1 comment:

  1. thank you this is something i
    had to hear when you write i understand
    you more and where you are coming from im
    learning more about you in your writing thank
    you

    ReplyDelete

Please be wise... no profanity or abusive language.