Monday, December 9, 2013

Just Do It. Plain and Simple.


A while back a friend told me they were going to do something significant for me. That something never did get done. A few days after the fact, I got to thinking about what we, as believers, say and do on a daily basis and how it affects our witness and integrity. There are many types of people in the world. We all have unique personalities shaped by our life’s circumstances as well as the parts that are given to us by our Creator. But something that every single one of us should always do is keep our word.

Jesus’ words were never more clear about this subject in Matthew 5:37: “But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’” (NKJV) In this context he was speaking of simply saying yes or no, versus swearing by anything. But there is so much wisdom in Jesus’ words. If we say we will, then we need to do so. If we say we will not, we need to follow through with our word.

Another great teaching from the Bible that came to my mind during this time really brought more wisdom to the subject at hand. In James 2:14-26, we learn about what faith truly is. Faith by itself is actually nothing. It is dead. But when we place action along with that faith, it is alive. In verses 15 and 16 the example is given, “If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Go in peace, be warmed and filled,’ without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?” (ESV) This is a beautiful illustration that cuts to the heart of the matter beautifully. Well-wishes are meaningless in a world full of suffering. It is only by doing something tangible that we can strengthen our brothers and sisters.

So many times we see a need among our brothers and sisters; we want badly to help, but we just don’t know how. Or maybe we do know how, but we can’t afford it. Maybe we have so many ideas that we walk away wondering which one is best, only to get caught up in the busy life we have and forget to do anything at all. Everyone is at risk for these shortcomings. Afterall, we are all human – living in a fallen world – corrupted by sin. But with the Holy Spirit, I believe we have something others don’t: a Helper.
There is an Amish proverb that I read recently: “One little deed done in time is worth more than a thousand good intentions.” How very true. So next time, instead of talking about helping a friend in need, make the plan to do something tangible. Make a meal, send an anonymous gift card for gas or groceries, clean someone’s house who can’t do it themselves. Make the plan and follow through. You will be building up treasures in Heaven by serving your fellow man as you make this world a better place, deed by deed.

Let your yes be yes and your no be no, and do what you say. One little deed, afterall, can show a fallen world what living with real faith is all about.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Lauren, for your wisdom and insight...it really made me stop and think. Now all I have to do is act!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Act girl, act! :) Thanks Bev. Have a tremendous Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lauren. I just discovered your blogs today and have been reading many of your past entries from here and your Lyme blog. You are a wonderful writer and really express the truths of this disease so well. Don't know how you do all that you do! I was diagnosed with Lyme this past August...finally! I am very sick, but oh how blessed I am!!! It could be so much worse. My faith has grown dramatically during the past 4 years. It is amazing to me how you can be a Lyme leader with all the help you provide AND write these articles. You are a great inspiration and a wonderful servant of our great and mighty God. As far as this particular article, you really nailed it.
    Blessings to you!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan,
      I tell you the truth... Everything I do is by the gift of grace in my life. God is the only way I have the strength.
      I will be praying for your healing and health!
      Lots of love,
      Lauren

      Delete
    2. You are so right. It is ONLY Him that keeps me positive and persevering.
      He has met my every need.
      I too will be praying for you.
      That is "my yes is yes"
      Love,
      Jan

      Delete

Please be wise... no profanity or abusive language.